free social run & fun
The Southern Arizona Roadrunners is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting health and fitness in Tucson and Southern Arizona through running and walking. Join today!
Our rolling 8-mile and 5k courses loop through a cactus forest in the foothills of the scenic Rincon Mountains at Saguaro National Park East. This event has been featured as a Runner’s World Race of the Month. State Championship medallions, gift certificates, age group awards, and nifty super-cool t-shirt.
This FREE event for kids not yet in middle school takes place in the beautiful Sabino Canyon in the Coronado National Forest on Public Lands Day. This means parking is also FREE. Kids get a free FitKidz shirt, finisher ribbon and more goodies. Bring your kids out and get them moving!
Join some of the fastest runners in the nation. Set your own personal record or just come for the fun of sharing fitness with friends, family and total strangers.
Unfortunately, we've hit our registration cap for the TMC Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run and for the 2015 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. Thank you to everyone who has signed up for these great events. At 835, our Triple Crown numbers skyrocketed this year -- we hope that you are enjoying the series and we're happy to donate $8,350 to Child and Family Resources directly from these registrations!More
Registration for the 46th Annual TMC Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run is still open. We have hit our cap, but the Park Service is letting us extend it a bit more -- we anticipate ending registration by August 30th so sign up online before Sunday! READ MORE HERE
Below is an update on race details -- we'll post additional updates and send another email to race participants next week, so keep your eye open for final details.
Please remember that the event takes place at Saguaro National Park EAST: 3693 S. Old Spanish Trail Road. This is on the EAST side of Tucson, up against the Rincon Mountains.
Please remember, too, to be safe. Saguaro is a demanding course and it will be a hot day. We will have water on hand, but if you will be running for more than 90 minutes, you might want to bring your own water. Our race shirts will be white, and we encourage you to wear light-weight, light-colored clothing -- perhaps with a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. If you see a snake, do NOT try to pet it.
On the social media side, please feel free to share your race story on the SAR facebook page, at instagram @RunSAR and @RunTucson, and on twitter @RunTucson.
Unless you have a better idea, we'll use the pretty basic #Saguaro.
Thanks again for doing this and other SAR races.
We'll see you next week!
Race Director, Southern Arizona Roadrunners
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.azroadrunners.org | @RunSar | @RunTucson
Top 10 updates on race day
1. There are two times to pick up your number and shirt:
* September 5th packet pick-up is at The Running Shop (3055 North Campbell) on Saturday, September 5th from 10-2.
*September 7th packet pick up is on race morning, Monday, September 7th, in the maintenance yard at Saguaro EAST from 5:15-6:00 am.
At packet pick-up, you will receive a shirt and race number with the timing tag attached to the number. We have 1450 shirts for 1300 runners, but we cannot guarantee that you will receive the perfect size that you want. Both locations will be crowded, so please be gracious to our volunteers.
2. If you want to change your distance, please simply tell the registration volunteers then do the race distance that you want to do. The timing chips will pick up your time and distance.
3. The 5k Walk/Run will start at 6:20 AM and head towards the picnic grounds, in the counter-clockwise direction. Please stay to the right during this race -- go out on the right hand side of the road, turn around at the 180-degree turnaround, and come back on the right hand side of the road.
4. The 8-mile will start at 6:30 AM and head the regular clockwise direction of the Park's Loop Road.
5. Refreshments: Muscle Milk will be on hand with refreshing post-race recovery drinks, while Culligan is providing water. TMC is once again providing snacks, while local company R-Bar Energy will provide their great-tasting energy bar samples.
6. Post-race expo-style booths will include a Tucson Medical Center tent with room for stretching, the Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club, the National Park Service, Friends of Saguaro, The Coalition for Sonoran Desert Protection, Team Red White and Blue, the Running Shop, the cool new SAR membership tent, and others.
7. Thanks to the over 100 volunteers who make this event possible: water station volunteers include the high school cross country teams from Sahuaro High School, Catalina High School, and St. Augustine High School. The Tucson Tri-Girls and National Park Service volunteers will be at the 7-mile mark as well, while members of the Southern Arizona Roadrunners and the Workout Group will handle most of the volunteer chores.
8. Rural Metro is again providing ambulance support, while Waste Management is putting out plenty of portojohns, including one near the 4 mile mark. Please do NOT use the desert for your personal needs -- this is unsafe, unsanitary, and illegal and the Park Service has indicated that our permit is dependent on the good behavior of Park visitors.
9. Parking: Parking is allowed on Pima County roads, including Old Spanish Trail, Escalante, and Freeman. Please follow all traffic laws and please do NOT park in driveways or in any way block the neighbors.
The National Park Service is once again providing a drop-off zone in front of the Saguaro East entrance. Please be courteous and safe when parking and when dropping folks off. This is a crowded event, so please allow plenty of time to park and make your waysafely to the starting line.
10. The National Park Service Visitor Center will be open early, so you can browse, relax, partake in a raffle, and enjoy the coolness.
Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown Details
1. If you signed up for the Triple Crown, you will get your shirt and medals at Saguaro National Park East on race morning (NOT at the Running Shop).
2. The Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown tent will be in the maintenance yard, near the SAR tent.
3) The Triple Crown tent will have these items:
* TMC Saguaro Triple Crown finisher medallions, for both the 5k and 8-miler - note, these are only for Triple Crown registrants
* Blue Run Tucson/Run Your Passion shirts for new Triple Crown registrants and for those who did not get them at the TMC Meet Me Downtown - again, we tried to get the appropriate sizing, but please take the size that fits best. We do not anticipate doing another printing.
* TMC Meet Me Downtown finisher medallions for those who signed up for the Triple Crown and who finished MMD, but who did not get them at MMD.
2015 Event Weekend Schedule -- UPDATED DRAFT
Saturday, September 5
10:00am - 2:00pm T-shirt and Packet Pickup at The Running Shop (3055 North Campbell)
YES: You can still change your race distance -- simply tell the volunteers on hand.
YES: This will be crowded. Please be in a good mood and please be nice to the volunteers who are giving up their Saturday to help out.
YES: T-shirt sizing is first-come, first-served, so get there early to get your first choice! We do NOT guarantee that every runner will get the exact size that they want.
YES: You can pick up the shirt and number of someone else, but please be respectful of the people in line and don't spend a year-and-a-half trying to figure out if the t-shirt is the perfect size.
Triple Crown: As we wrote above, you can pick up your 2015 Run Tucson Triple Crown shirt and your medals only at the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown tent at Saguaro East on race morning.
Monday, September 7th Schedule
5:15-6:00 AM Please car pool! It is always crowded at Saguaro, so please consider coming to the race with friends. Remember: please follow all traffic and parking laws.
Shirt and number pick-up at Saguaro Park East Maintenance Yard. Go up the park road and turn right to the maintenance yard. There is no race day registration, only number/shirt pick-up. Please put your race number on the front of your body -- either shirt or shorts is fine!
You can pick up your Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown shirt at the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown tent.
6:00 am Visitor Center opens, with free giveaways, raffles, discounts, and air conditioning.
6:10 Line up for your races. The 5k will start first this year, at 6:20. All 5k runners and walkers should line up at the starting line, runners in the front. The 5k will head counter-clockwise. Please stay to the right side of the road, then at the turn around, come back on the right side of the road. Note, all under-10 children need to have a waiver submitted - parents can do this at registration.
In both races, please line up in order of your expected racing pace: 5-minutes/mile at the front; 6-minutes/mile behind them, then 7-minutes per mile, and so forth.
6:15 A few words from the National Park Service, Ross Zimmerman and the Zimmerman family, and Julia Strange from TMC.
6:20 5k starts, 8-milers cheer and line up. 5k runners and walkers start in a counter-clockwise direction and do a sharp 180-degree turn-around down by the picnic grounds. The plan is to always stay to the right side of the road.
6:30 8-Milers start -- runners head out clockwise on the course.
From here, everyone gets tired, then has fun after the race, goes home and naps . . .
Click here for the recent eblast with details on the TMC Get Moving Tucson events. Prices go up September 2nd, so sign up today for the October 25th TMC Half-Marathon and the Tucson Lifestyle 5k. As always the Cox Charities Mile is free!More
In 1991, SAR established the Children’s Fitness Fund to provide funding for local endeavors that develop a life-long love of fitness in children. As part of Fleet Feet Sports' Power of Running Campaign they are partnering with SAR to help us support even more youth fitness programs. Each weekend in August and September, Fleet Feet will feature a different product, of which a portion of sales will go directly to the Children's Fitness Fund. Check out their webpage to find out more details. Each SAR race contributes 10% of their profits to finance the Children’s Fitness Fund & now with the Power of Running Campaign we'll be able to help even more kids find joy in active, healthy lifestyles!More